Profession: Heavyweight Boxing Champion
Why Famous: Born Cassius Clay, Muhammed Ali was known as "The Greatest" and as one of the most famous athletes of the 20th Century.
Ali won his first heavyweight boxing title aged 22 against Sonny Liston and converted to the Nation of Islam shortly after, changing his name.
He refused to be drafted into the Vietnam War and was thus barred from fighting for nearly 4 years. On his return to boxing Ali won such memorable bouts as the 1974 "Rumble in the Jungle" in Zaire and "The Thriller in Manila" in 1975.
He has described his boxing style as "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee".
- 1964-08-14 World Heavyweight Champion Muhammad Ali (22) weds cocktail waitress Sonja Roi
- 1986-11-19 Hall of Famer boxing champ Muhammad Ali (44) weds Yolanda Williams
- 1960-09-05 Cassius Clay [Muhammad Ali] wins Olympic light heavyweight gold medal
- 1960-10-29 Muhammad Ali's [Cassius Clay] 1st professional fight, beats Tunney Hunsaker in 6
- 1964-02-25 Muhammad Ali [Cassius Clay] TKOs Sonny Liston in 7 for his first world heavyweight championship title
- 1964-03-06 Boxing legend Cassius Clay joins the Nation of Islam and changes his name to "Muhammad Ali", calling his former title a "slave name"
- 1965-05-25 Muhammad Ali KOs Sonny Liston in 1 for heavyweight boxing title rematch
- 1965-11-22 Muhammad Ali TKOs Floyd Patterson in 12 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1966-03-29 Muhammad Ali beats George Chuvalo in 15 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1966-05-21 Muhammad Ali TKOs Henry Cooper in 6 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1966-08-06 Muhammad Ali KOs Brian London in 3 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1966-09-10 Muhammad Ali TKOs Karl Mildenberger in 12 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1966-11-14 Muhammad Ali TKOs Cleveland Williams in 3 for heavyweight title
- 1967-01-12 Louisville, Kentucky, draft board refuses exemption for boxer Muhammad Ali
- 1967-02-06 Muhammad Ali TKOs Ernie Terrell in 15 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1967-03-06 Muhammad Ali is ordered by selective service to be inducted
- 1967-03-22 Muhammad Ali KOs Zora Folley in 7 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1967-04-28 Muhammad Ali refuses induction into army & stripped of boxing title
- 1967-05-08 Muhammad Ali is indicted for refusing induction in US Army
- 1971-03-08 Joe Frazier beats Muhammad Ali in 15, retains heavyweight boxing title at Madison Square Garden
- 1971-06-28 US Supreme Court (8-0) overturns draft evasion conviction of Muhammad Ali
- 1973-03-31 Ken Norton defeats Muhammad Ali in a 12 round split decision
- 1973-09-10 Muhammad Ali defeats Ken Norton
- 1974-10-30 The Rumble in the Jungle: Muhammad Ali KOs George Foreman in the 8th round in Kinshasa, Zaire
- 1975-03-24 Muhammad Ali TKOs Chuck Wepner in 15 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1975-05-16 Muhammad Ali TKOs Ron Lyle in 11 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1975-06-30 Heavyweight Muhammad Ali defeats Joe Bugner in Malaysia
- 1975-06-30 Muhammad Ali beats British boxer Joe Bugner in a 15 round unanimous decision to retain the WBC & WBA heavyweight title
- 1975-10-01 Muhammad Ali TKOs Joe Frazier in 15 for heavyweight boxing title in "The Thrilla in Manila"
- 1976-02-20 Muhammad Ali KOs Jan Pierre Coopman in 5 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1976-04-30 Muhammad Ali beats Jimmy Young in 15 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1976-05-24 Muhammad Ali TKOs Richard Dunn in 5 for heavyweight boxing title in Munich
- 1976-09-28 Muhammad Ali beats Ken Norton in 15 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1977-05-16 Muhammad Ali beats Alfredo Evangelist in 15 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1977-09-29 Muhammad Ali beats Earnie Shavers in 15 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1978-02-15 Leon Spinks beats Muhammad Ali in 15 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1978-09-15 Muhammad Ali beats Leon Spinks in 15 rounds for heavyweight boxing title
- 1979-06-27 Heavyweight Muhammad Ali confirms that his 3rd retirement is final (it isn't)
- 1980-10-02 Larry Holmes TKOs Muhammad Ali in 11 for heavyweight boxing title
- 1981-01-19 Muhammad Ali talks a despondent 21 year old out of committing suicide
- 1981-12-11 Muhammad Ali's 61st & last fight, losing to Trevor Berbick
- 1983-01-13 AMA urges ban on boxing, cites Muhammad Ali's deteriorating condition