Profession: Prime Minister of Malaysia
Why Famous: Razak served as the Prime Minister of Malaysia from 2009 to 2018, when he was ousted following the general election that bought Mahathir Mohamad to power.
He was accused of corruption when almost US$1 billion from the 1MDB Malaysian development fund went missing.
Other significant events included the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 and the introduction of the New Economic Model.
After leaving office he has been banned from leaving Malaysia while the investigation into 1MDB continues, and was later arrested and charged with corruption.
- 2015-08-30 Former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir bin Mohamad calls for the removal of then Prime Minister Najib Razak during the second day of street protests
- 2018-02-22 Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak stirs up controversy by declaring he prefers quinoa to rice, the national dish
- 2018-05-09 Historic win in Malaysian general election by opposition coalition Pakatan Harapan led by 92 year old former Prime Minister Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad, defeating Prime Minister Najib Razak and ending 61 years of rule by the Barisan Nasional coalition
- 2018-06-27 Malaysian police announce seizure of goods linked to former prime minister Najib Razak, worth $273 million, biggest in the country's history, including 567 handbags and 14 tiaras
- 2018-07-03 Former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak is arrested on corruption charges, accused of stealing 700 million from state development fund 1MDB
- 2018-08-08 Malaysia charges former prime minister Najib Razak with three counts of money laundering
- 2019-04-03 Ex-Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak goes on trial for the 1MDB corruption scandal in Kuala Lumpur, pleads not guilty
- 2020-07-28 Former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak found guilty of corruption, sentenced to 12 years and fined nearly $50 million