Full Name: Nancy Patricia D'Alesandro Pelosi
Profession: US Speaker of the House
Why Famous: Nancy Pelosi is the highest-ranking woman to be elected in US history. She has been elected Speaker of the House of Representatives twice, serving 2007-11 and re-elected in 2019. She is the first Speaker to be elected to a second term since 1955.
A Democrat, Pelosi was first elected to Congress in 1987 to serve California's 5th District (later the 8th District) in the San Francisco area.
Throughout her political career Pelosi has fought for AIDs funding and was a protesting voice against the Iraq war. As speaker she oversaw a stimulus package in the aftermath of the 2008 economic crisis and was one of the major forces behind the Affordable Care Act (Obama Care).
- 2007-01-04 The 110th United States Congress convenes and elects Nancy Pelosi as the 1st female Speaker of the House
- 2018-12-11 US President Donald Trump says he would be "proud" to shut down the government in contentious meeting at The White House with Democrats Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer
- 2019-01-03 116th US Congress convenes in Washington, D.C., electing Nancy Pelosi Speaker of the House of Representatives for the second time
- 2019-01-23 US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi disinvites President Donald Trump from making a State of the Union address in Congress citing government shutdown
- 2019-04-14 Congresswoman Ilhan Omar at center of controversy over comments about 9/11 at speech to Council on American-Islamic Relations after tweet by Donald Trump, defended by Nancy Pelosi
- 2019-05-02 US Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi accuses Attorney General William Barr of lying to Congress over the Mueller Report
- 2019-09-24 Nancy Pelosi announces formal impeachment inquiry into US President Donald Trump, arguing that he tried to enlist a foreign power for his own political gain
- 2019-12-05 Speaker of the US House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, announces articles of impeachment against US President Donald Trump will be drawn up for abuse of power
- 2021-01-08 US Speaker Nancy Pelosi demands President Donald Trump's resignation or he will face impeachment, while also calling for vice-president Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment to remove him