Profession: 15th Prime Minister of India
Why Famous: The 15th and current Prime Minister of India. Prior to holding this office he was the Chief Minister of Gujarat from 2001 to 2014. Modi was a highly controversial figure in this role, particularly over allegations that he was complicity in the 2002 riots in which over 1,000 Muslims were killed.
Since taking office, Modi has tried to raise foreign direct investment in the Indian economy, while reducing spending on healthcare and social welfare initiatives. Other policies include the abolition of the planning commission and attempts to increase efficiency in the bureaucracy. He has begun a high-profile sanitation campaign, and weakened or abolished environmental and labor laws.
Modi's Hindu nationalism has been the source of controversy, with the riots in Gujarat sometimes used by critics as evidence of his anti-Muslim feelings.
- 2014-05-26 Narendra Modi becomes the 15th Prime Minister of India
- 2016-11-08 Indian PM Narendra Modi announces the demonetization of all ₹500 and ₹1,000 banknotes during an unscheduled live televised address, canceling 86% of the notes in circulation in a battle against corruption
- 2018-09-23 Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches "Modicare", free heathcare for 500 million, world's biggest healthcare program
- 2018-09-24 Pakyong Airport, India's 100th airport, is opened in the Himalayan mountains at 1,400 meters by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- 2019-03-27 Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announces the country is now a "space power" after successfully shooting down a satellite from space in a ballistic missile test
- 2019-05-23 Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) wins re-election in a landslide over the opposition Congress Party, world's largest-ever democratic election with over 600 million voters
- 2019-05-30 Narendra Modi sworn in for a second term as Indian Prime Minister in New Delhi with 8,000 guests at largest-ever gathering at the Presidential Palace
- 2019-09-22 "Howdy, Modi!" US President Donald Trump holds a mass rally for Indian PM Narendra Modi in Houston, Texas
- 2020-02-24 US President Donald Trump begins a 2 day trip to India meeting Indian PM Narendra Modi
- 2020-03-24 Indian PM Narendra Modi orders a 21 day lockdown for world's second most populous country of 1.3 billion people to deal with COVID-19
- 2020-04-14 PM Narendra Modi extends India's COVID-19 lockdown until May 3
- 2020-05-12 Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announces a $260 million economic rescue package, worth 10% of GDP
- 2020-08-05 Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi lays the cornerstone for a new Hindu temple at Ayodhya Ram to replace a previous Muslim mosque