Profession: Emperor of Japan
Biography: Naruhito is the current Emperor of Japan, reigning in the Reiwa era, which began on the day of his accession, May 1, 2019. He succeeded his father Emperor Akihito who announced his abdication on April 30, 2019, the first emperor to do so since 1817.
As Crown Prince he studied at Oxford University in England, writing his thesis on historical transport on the Thames River, making him the first successor to the Chrysanthemum Throne to study outside Japan. He later recounted his two years in Europe in a biography. He has also engaged in diplomacy through extensive travel on behalf of Japan.
Upon his succession he became the first Japanese emperor to be born after World War II.
- 1993-06-09 Japanese Crown Prince Naruhito weds Masaka Owada
- 1992-12-12 Japanese crown prince Naruhito announces engagement to Masaka Owada
- 2019-04-01 Japanese government announces the name of a new era 'Reiwa' for the next Emperor, Crown Prince Naruhito
- 2019-04-30 Japanese Emperor Akihito declares his abdication at a ceremony in Tokyo which officially takes effect the following day
- 2019-05-01 Naruhito officially succeeds his father Akihito as the Emperor of Japan after the latter abdicated due to ill health
- 2019-10-22 Japanese Emperor Naruhito alongside Empress Masako formally declares his ascension to the throne of the world's oldest monarchy