Full Name: Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus
Profession: Roman Emperor
Why Famous: Roman Emperor from 54 to 68, and the last in the Julio-Claudian dynasty. He is infamously known as the Emperor who "fiddled while Rome burned" and as an early persecutor of Christians. His rule is often associated with tyranny and extravagance, and he was known for executing people he perceived as enemies, including his own mother.
His death ended the Julio-Claudian Dynasty, sparking a brief period of civil wars known as the Year of the Four Emperors.
- 0051-03-04 Nero, later to become Roman Emperor, is given the title princeps iuventutis (head of the youth)
- 0054-10-13 Nero succeeds Claudius as Roman Emperor
- 0055-02-11 Tiberius Claudius Caesar Britannicus, heir to the Roman Emperorship, dies under mysterious circumstances in Rome. This clears the way for Nero to become Emperor.
- 0064-07-18 Great Fire of Rome begins under the Emperor Nero
- 0066-09-22 Emperor Nero creates the Legion I Italica
- 0068-06-09 Roman Emperor Nero commits suicide, imploring his secretary Epaphroditos to slit his throat to evade a Senate-imposed death by flogging