Profession: President of South Vietnam
Why Famous: A key figure in the Vietnam War, Diem ruled over South Vietnam from 1955 until 1963.
Originally a key ally of the United States, Diem's increasing corruption and persecution of South Vietnam's majority Buddhist population led to his overthrow and assassination in a CIA-backed coup in 1963.
- 1954-06-16 Ngô Đình Diệm elected Prime Minister of the State of Vietnam (South Vietnam)
- 1954-10-27 President Eisenhower offers aid to South Vietnam Prime Minister Ngô Đình Diệm
- 1955-10-26 Ngô Đình Diệm proclaims Vietnam a republic with himself as President
- 1957-05-08 South Vietnamese President, Ngô Đình Diệm, arrives in the United States on a state visit
- 1960-11-12 Coup against South Vietnamese President Ngô Đình Diệm fails
- 1962-02-27 South Vietnam President Ngô Đình Diệm's palace bombed by dissident air pilots in a failed assassination attempt
- 1963-11-02 Ngô Đình Diệm, the President of South Vietnam, is overthrown and assassinated in a coup by the South Vietnamese Army