Full Name: Nicolás Maduro Moros
Profession: President of Venezuela
Biography: Maduro has been the President of Venezuela since the death of previous leader Hugo Chavez in 2013. His term in office has seen the explosion of the Venezuelan crisis, marked by exceptionally high inflation, shortages of basic goods, the collapse of the country's economy and a political crisis. In early 2019 opposition politician and President of the National Assembly, Juan Guaidó, declared himself the President and was recognized by 54 countries.
The collapse in the country's economy has been met with increased repression from Maduro's government, which he has ruled by decree since 2013. When the opposition won control of the National Assembly, the Maduro-backed Supreme Tribunal removed power from the parliamentary body, precipitating a constitutional crisis and repression against the opposition and its supporters. Maduro for his part blames the economic collapse on the United States and its western allies.
An attempt to topple Maduro in an uprising in April 2019 failed to gain the necessary military support in the country.
- 2013-03-05 Venezuelan Vice-President Nicolás Maduro assumes the presidency after the death of Hugo Chávez
- 2013-04-15 Nicolás Maduro is narrowly elected President of Venezuela
- 2018-05-20 President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela wins a second term in an election marked by boycotts and accusations of vote rigging
- 2018-08-04 President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela survives an assassination attempt by drone, live on TV
- 2019-01-23 Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido declares himself acting President amid widespread violent protests against President Nicolas Maduro's regime
- 2020-03-26 US charges Venezuelan president Nicolás Maduro and other officials with "narco-terrorism", by flooding the US with drugs