Profession: Soviet First Secretary
Why Famous: First Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union from Joseph Stalin's death in 1953 to 1964.
Khrushchev was responsible for the de-Stalinization of the Soviet Union, supporting the early Soviet space program and for several relatively liberal reforms in areas of domestic policy. These were often ineffective, especially in agriculture.
Khrushchev ordered major cuts in conventional forces, hoping to rely on missiles and nuclear weapons to defend the Soviet Union. He also lead the USSR during the Cuban missile crisis which these policies helped cause.
Khrushchev's party colleagues removed him from power in 1964, replacing him with Leonid Brezhnev.
- 1942-08-04 Colonel general Jeremenko arrives in Stalingrad and welcomed by Nikita Khrushchev
- 1953-02-28 Stalin meets with Beria, Bulganin, Khrushchev & Malenkov
- 1953-09-14 Nikita Khrushchev appointed First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, succeeding Malenkov
- 1955-05-26 Khrushchev arrives in Belgrade
- 1956-02-25 Nikita Khrushchev denounces Joseph Stalin at the 20th Congress of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union
- 1956-06-04 Speech by Khrushchev criticising Stalin made public
- 1957-06-02 US TV interviews Nikita Khrushchev
- 1958-03-27 Nikita Khrushchev becomes Soviet Premier as well as First Secretary of the Communist Party
- 1959-05-25 Russian premier Nikita Khrushchev visits Angola
- 1959-07-24 US Vice President Richard Nixon argues with Nikita Khrushchev, known as "Kitchen Debate"
- 1959-09-15 Soviet Premier Khrushchev arrives in US to begin a 13-day visit
- 1959-09-19 Nikita Khrushchev is denied access to Disneyland
- 1959-09-27 Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev concludes his US visit
- 1960-02-26 Soviet premier Nikita Khrushchev voices support for Indonesia
- 1960-10-12 Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev bangs his shoe on his desk at UN General Assembly session
- 1961-06-03 JFK & Khrushchev meet in Vienna
- 1961-06-04 US President John F. Kennedy and Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev meet at the Vienna Summit in Austria
- 1961-08-07 Soviet premier Khrushchev predicts USSR economy will surpass US
- 1962-10-26 Nikita Khrushchev sends note to JFK offering to withdraw his missiles from Cuba if US closed its bases in Turkey: offer is rejected
- 1962-10-28 Cuban missile crisis: US President JFK receives letter from Soviet Leaderr Khrushchev suggesting agreement
- 1963-01-16 Khrushchev claims to have a 100-megaton nuclear bomb
- 1963-06-28 Nikita Khrushchev visits East Berlin
- 1964-05-09 Khrushchev visits Egypt
- 1964-10-14 Premier Nikita Khrushchev replaced by Leonid Brezhnev as General Secretary of the Soviet Communist Party
- 1971-09-13 Nikita Khrushchev, Soviet premier, buried in Moscow