Profession: President of Sudan
Why Famous: al-Bashir came to power in Sudan after leading a group of military officers in a coup in 1989, then went on to win three controversial and allegedly corrupted elections. In 2009 he became the first sitting president to be indicted by the International Criminal Court over war crimes in Darfur.
His government oversaw negotiations with South Sudan that led to that state becoming independent in 2011. The war in Darfur fought by his government is accused of being genocidal, with around 200-400,000 people dead and over 2 million people displaced.
His indictment at the ICC is opposed by the African Union, the League of Arab States, the Non-Aligned Movement and the governments of Russia and China. Sudan does not recognize the ICC.
- 1993-10-16 General Omar al-Bashir appointed Sudan president
- 2019-02-23 Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir declares a national emergency, dismisses the federal government and sacks all state governors
- 2019-04-08 Protests in Sudan against the government of Omar al-Bashir continue with seven killed and 2,500 arrested in Khartoum
- 2019-04-11 Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir overthrown and arrested by the army in Khartoum after 29 years in power
- 2019-05-13 Former President of Sudan Omar al-Bashir is charged in connection with the deaths of protesters the previous month
- 2019-06-13 Recently deposed Sudan President Omar al-Bashir is charged with corruption in Sudan
- 2019-08-19 Sudanese Ex-President Omar al-Bashir admits he has received $90 million from Saudi Arabian royals at the start of his corruption trial in Khartoum