Profession: Islamic Militant and Terrorist
Why Famous: Born into a wealthy Saudi Arabian family bin Laden joined and helped fund mujahideen forces in Afghanistan against the Soviets before founding al-Qaeda in 1988.
Banished by his country he established a base in Sudan before moving to Afghanistan from where he issued a fatwā against the United States.
Attacks by Al-Qaeda followed around the world, including the 1998 US Embassy bombings and the September 11 attacks in the United States.
He was finally tracked down and killed by US special forces in May 2011 and buried at sea.
- 1988-08-11 Al-Qaeda formed at a meeting between Osama Bin Laden, Zawahiri and Dr Fadl in Peshawar, Pakistan
- 1996-08-23 Osama bin Laden issues message entitled "A declaration of war against the Americans occupying the land of the two holy places"
- 1998-02-23 Osama bin Laden publishes a fatwa declaring jihad against all Jews and Crusaders
- 1998-11-20 Court in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan declares accused terrorist Osama bin Laden "a man without a sin" in regard to the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania
- 2002-01-16 UN Security Council unanimously establishes an arms embargo and freezes assets of Osama bin Laden, Al-Qaida, and the members of the Taliban
- 2004-10-29 Arabic news network, Al Jazeera broadcasts an excerpt from a video of Osama bin Laden in which the terrorist leader first admits direct responsibility for the September 11, 2001 attacks and references the 2004 U.S. presidential election
- 2011-05-02 Osama bin Laden, the suspected mastermind behind the September 11 attacks and the FBI's most wanted man is killed by US special forces in Abbottabad, Pakistan