Profession: Writer and Poet
Why Famous: One of London's most popular playwrights in the early 1890s.
Best remembered for his epigrams, his novel "The Picture of Dorian Gray", his plays, and his imprisonment and early death.
- 1884-05-29 Irish writer Oscar Wilde marries Constance Lloyd at St. James Church, Paddington, London
- 1891-01-26 Oscar Wilde's "Duchess of Padua" premieres in NYC
- 1892-02-22 "Lady Windermere's Fan" by Oscar Wilde premieres at St James Theatre, London
- 1895-01-13 Oscar Wilde's "Ideal Husband" premieres in London
- 1895-02-14 Oscar Wilde's "Importance of Being Earnest," opens in London
- 1895-04-05 Oscar Wilde loses libel case against Marquess of Queensberry, who accused him of homosexual practices
- 1895-05-25 Oscar Wilde sentenced to 2 years imprisonment for gross indecency
- 1896-02-11 Oscar Wilde's "Salome" premieres in Paris
- 1897-05-19 Oscar Wilde is released from Reading Gaol
- "The old believe everything; the middle-aged suspect everything; the young know everything."