Full Name: Osborne Earl Smith
Profession: Baseball Player
Biography: Ozzie Smith is a former outstanding baseball shortstop who played for the San Diego Padres and St. Louis Cardinals 1978-1996.
Smith is a 15-time MLB All-Star; 13-time Gold Glove Award winner; World Series champion in 1982; NL Silver Slugger Award winner in 1987; and NLCS MVP in 1985.
He set MLB records for career assists (8,375) and double plays (1,590) by a shortstop as well as the National League record with 2,511 career games at the position
He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility in 2002 and to the St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame in the inaugural class of 2014.
- 1980-09-25 Jerry Mumphrey joins Ozzie Smith and Gene Richards to steal 50 bases this year for Padres
- 1982-02-11 Ozzie Smith for Garry Templeton trade finally goes through
- 1992-04-26 Ozzie Smith steals his 500th base
- 1992-06-14 Ozzie Smith breaks Roy McMillan's NL mark by taking part in his 1,305th career double play
- 1995-09-15 Cards shortstop Ozzie Smith sets record of 1,554 double plays
- Ozzie Smith - National Baseball Hall of Fame