Biography: Perhaps the most famous and influential artist of the 20th Century.
Picasso moved to Paris to work from his native Spain. Picasso's long artistic career included many styles, including his early Blue and Rose Periods before developing Cubism with Georges Braque from 1909.
His most famous painting Guernica (1937) depicts an event from the Spanish Civil war and comes from his later Classical Period. Picasso worked with many mediums, including collage, sculpture (The Chicago Picasso), ceramics and prints.
- 1918-07-12 Artist Pablo Picasso (36) marries ballet dancer Olga Khokhlova (27)
- 1961-03-13 Pablo Picasso (79) marries his model Jacqueline Rocque (37)
- 1901-06-24 1st exhibition by Pablo Picasso aged 19, opens in Paris
- 1913-02-17 NY Armory Show introduces Picasso, Matisse, Duchamp to US public
- 1916-08-12 Pablo Picasso, Max Jacob, Moïse Kisling, Ortiz and Paquerette are photographed in Paris
- 1927-12-28 Arthur Honegger's opera "Antigone" premieres with a libretto by Jean Cocteau, sets by Pablo Picasso and costumes by Coco Chanel at the Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie, Brussels
- 1981-10-24 Pablo Picasso's 1937 painting Guernica goes on display in Madrid Spain to celebrate the centenary of the artist's birth
- 1988-11-28 Picasso's "Acrobat & Harlequin" sells for $38.46 million
- 1997-03-06 Picasso's painting Tête de Femme is stolen from a London gallery, and is recovered a week later.
- 2007-12-20 The painting Portrait of Suzanne Bloch (1904), by the Spanish artist Pablo Picasso, was stolen from the São Paulo Museum of Art, along with O Lavrador de Café, by the major Brazilian modernist painter Candido Portinari.
- 2015-05-11 Record price for a work of art at auction: Picasso's The Women of Algiers (Version ‘O’) sells for US$179.3 million at Christies in New York
- 2015-08-13 US Government formally returns to France Picasso's painting La Coiffeuse, stolen from Paris' National Museum of Modern Art in 2001
- 2019-03-26 Stolen Pablo Picasso painting "Buste de Femme" (Dora Maar) (1938) recovered after 20 years by Dutch art detective
- "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."