Profession: 1st Female President of South Korea
Why Famous: Park was the first female President of South Korea, and also the first women to be popularly-elected head of state in East Asia. Notably, her father, Park Chung-hee, had also been President of South Korea (1963–1979)—though his presidency began with the 1961 military coup d'état.
She ran into trouble in 2016 after the National Assembly impeached her in relation to her top aide's alleged influence peddling. Park was removed from office by unanimous ruling of the Constitutional Court in 2017—making her the first Korean president to be removed by impeachment.
Subsequently she was sentenced to 24 years in prison, with her now residing in the Seoul Detention Center.
- 2012-12-19 Park Geun-hye wins the South Korean presidential election to become the nation’s first female president
- 2016-11-20 South Korean President Park Geun-hye's controversial friend Choi Soon-sil charged with abuse of authority and coercion amid calls to also impeach the President
- 2016-12-09 South Korean MPs vote to impeach President Park Geun-hye
- 2017-03-10 South Korean judges uphold parliaments' decision to impeach President Park Geun-hye
- 2017-03-30 Ex-South Korean president Park Geun-hye arrested in corruption investigation
- 2017-05-09 Moon Jae-in elected President of South Korea after a snap election to replace Park Geun-hye