Profession: 3rd President Of The South African Republic
Biography: Kruger, nicknamed 'Oom Paul' (Uncle Paul), came to the fore during the Second Boer War (1899–1902). He represented the Boer cause on the international stage, a role for which he remains controversial.
Prior to this specific involvement, his life was intertwined with that of the South African Republic. He served as President from 1883 to 1900, having previously served as Vice President and Commandant-General.
When the Boer's war against the British turned for the worst, Kruger departed for Europe and there remained in exile all his life; staunchly refusing to return to the now-British territory.
Born: October 10, 1825
Birthplace: Steynsburg, Cape Colony, British Empire
Star Sign: Libra
- 1881-03-04 South African politician Paul Kruger accepts ceasefire during First Boer War
- 1883-04-16 Paul Kruger chosen as President of Transvaal
- 1890-06-23 In an effort to solve the "Uitlander" grievances regarding voting rights, President of Transvaal Paul Kruger institutes a Second Volksraad, responsible for controlling local matters
- 1893-04-22 Paul Kruger elected President of Transvaal for the third time
- 1894-06-25 Boer leader Paul Kruger meets British High Commissioner, Sir Henry Loch, on Pretoria station in South Africa and accompanies him to his hotel to discuss the grievances of the Uitlanders (Foreigners)
- 1895-02-25 Groenkloof Nature Reserve in Pretoria established by President Paul Kruger as the first game sanctuary in Africa
- 1900-03-11 British Prime Minister Lord Salisbury rejects peace overtures from the Boer leader Paul Kruger (on 5 March) as demanding too-favourable terms
- 1900-05-28 Paul Kruger, President of the Boer Republic of South Africa, flees its capital, Pretoria, goes to Watervalboven to evade the advancing British
- 1900-09-11 President of Transvaal Paul Kruger crosses border into Mozambique
- 1900-10-19 South African President of Transvaal Paul Kruger departs for Europe
- 1900-11-22 Paul Kruger, exiled President of the Boer Republic of South Africa, is given a popular welcome when he lands at Marseilles, France
- 1900-12-01 Exiled South African President of Transvaal Paul Kruger visits Flanders and on the same day is declined a visit from the German Kaiser
- 1900-12-02 Exiled South African President of Transvaal Paul Kruger arrives in Germany, though the Kaiser refuses to meet him
- 1900-12-09 President Paul Kruger of South Africa's Transvaal & Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands have a triumphant procession
- 1902-10-10 South Africa's President of Transvaal Paul Kruger visits Utrecht