Profession: Musician and Beatle
Biography: McCartney grew up in Liverpool, meeting song-writing partner John Lennon aged 15 and joining his band Quarrymen.
Renamed the Beatles in 1960, they had their first hit 'Love Me Do' in 1963. The group went on to dominate 1960s pop music worldwide until McCartney announced his split from the group in 1970.
He went on to form the band Wings in the 1970s and composed orchestral music in the 1990s.
Johann Sebastian Bach, The Pop Chart Wizard!
Welcome Shoppers, But No Whistling Please
The Beatles? 'They have no future in show business'
The Beatles on Ed Sullivan
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Memories of Elvis
- 1969-03-12 Paul McCartney marries Linda Louise Eastman in London
- 2002-06-11 Musician Paul McCartney (59) weds former model and anti-landmines campaigner Heather Mills (34) at Castle Leslie in County Monaghan, Ireland; divorce in 2008
- 2008-03-17 Musician Paul McCartney (65) divorces former model and anti-landmines campaigner Heather Mills (40) on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour
- 2011-10-09 Musician Paul McCartney (69) weds New Yorker Nancy Shevell (51) in a civil ceremony at Old Marylebone Town Hall, London
- 1957-07-06 John Lennon (16) & Paul McCartney (15) meet for 1st time as Lennon's rock group Quarrymen perform at St. Peter's, Woolton's Parish Church in Liverpool
- 1960-12-01 Paul McCartney and Pete Best arrested and then deported from Hamburg, Germany accused of attempted arson
- 1963-07-15 Paul McCartney is fined £17 for speeding
- 1963-08-25 Paul McCartney is fined 31 pounds & given a 1 yr suspended license for speeding
- 1964-05-18 David Frost interviews Paul McCartney on BBC
- 1964-07-02 Cilla Black records Lennon/McCartney song "It's For You", Paul McCartney plays piano
- 1965-12-26 Paul McCartney is interviewed on pirate radio station Radio Caroline
- 1967-05-15 Paul McCartney meets his future wife Linda Eastman
- 1967-06-19 Paul McCartney admits on TV that he took LSD
- 1967-12-25 Beatle Paul McCartney and British actress Jane Asher get engaged; engagement publicly broken six months later
- 1968-05-15 Paul McCartney & John Lennon appear on "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson", to promote Apple Records, Joe Garagiola is substitute host
- 1968-05-21 Paul McCartney and girlfriend Jane Asher attend an Andy Williams concert
- 1968-07-20 Jane Asher breaks her engagement with Beatle bassist, singer, and songwriter Paul McCartney on live TV
- 1969-04-24 Paul McCartney says there is no truth to rumors he is dead
- 1969-09-23 Northern Star and Illinois Univ newspaper start rumors that Paul McCartney is dead
- 1969-10-22 Paul McCartney denies greatly exaggerated rumors of his death
- 1970-04-10 Paul McCartney officially announces the split of The Beatles
- 1970-04-17 Paul McCartney's 1st solo album "McCartney" is released
- 1970-12-31 Paul McCartney files a lawsuit to dissolve The Beatles
- 1971-02-19 Paul McCartney releases "Another Day" in UK
- 1971-05-28 Paul McCartney releases "Ram", his 2nd solo album
- 1971-06-09 Paul McCartney's album "Ram" goes gold
- 1971-08-03 Paul McCartney announces formation of his group Wings
- 1972-02-25 Paul McCartney releases "Give Ireland back to the Irish" single
- 1972-05-12 Paul McCartney & Wings release "Mary Had a Little Lamb"
- 1972-07-09 1st tour of Paul McCartney & Wings (France)
- 1973-04-30 Paul McCartney releases "Red Rose Speedway" album, including the hit single "My Love"
- 1973-06-01 Paul McCartney & Wings release single "Live & Let Die"
- 1973-08-09 Northern Irish guitarist Henry McCullough quits rock band Wings, founded by Paul McCartney
- 1973-08-30 Drummer Danny Seiwell quits rock band Wings, which he co-founded by Paul McCartney
- 1973-12-05 Paul McCartney & Wings release album "Band on the Run" in the US
- 1973-12-07 Paul McCartney & Wings release "Band on the Run" in the UK
- 1974-04-20 Paul McCartney & Wings release single "Band on the Run" in the US
- 1975-03-24 New Orleans R&B piano player Professor Longhair with the Meters perform at record release party for Paul McCartney and Wings' "Venus and Mars", aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California
- 1975-05-27 Paul McCartney & Wings release "Venus & Mars" album
- 1975-09-09 Paul McCartney & Wings begin their "Wings Over The World" tour in Southampton, England; 65 concerts in Europe, Australia, Canada, and United States, runs through October of 1976
- 1979-03-16 CBS-TV airs "Wings Over the World" with Paul McCartney
- 1979-10-24 Guinness Book of Records presents Paul McCartney with a rhodium disc as all-time best selling singer-songwriter
- 1979-11-16 Paul McCartney releases "Wonderful Christmas"
- 1980-01-16 Paul McCartney is arrested at Tokyo International Airport for possession of marijuana; he is sent to jail for nine days before being deported
- 1980-01-25 Paul McCartney is released from Tokyo jail & deported
- 1980-04-11 Paul McCartney releases single "Coming Up"
- 1980-05-16 Paul McCartney releases "McCartney II" album
- 1980-06-13 Paul McCartney releases "Waterfall"
- 1980-09-15 Paul McCartney releases single "Temporary Secretary"
- 1981-02-06 Beatles Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr & George Harrison record a tribute to John Lennon
- 1981-02-27 Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder record the single "Ebony & Ivory"
- 1981-04-27 Paul McCartney's solo rock band Wings disbands
- 1982-03-26 Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder release the single "Ebony & Ivory" in the UK
- 1982-06-21 Paul McCartney releases single "Take It Away"
- 1982-09-06 Paul McCartney releases "Tug of War" album
- 1982-10-29 Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson release single "The Girl is Mine"; peaks at # 2 in US, and #8 in UK
- 1983-10-03 Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson release single "Say, Say, Say" in UK
- 1983-10-31 Paul McCartney releases "Pipes of Peace" album
- 1984-09-24 Paul McCartney releases single "No More Lonely Nights"
- 1984-09-26 Berlin appeals court clears Paul McCartney in a paternity suit
- 1984-10-22 Paul McCartney releases "Give My Regards to Broad Street" soundtrack
- 1984-11-12 Paul McCartney releases "We All Stand Together"
- 1985-11-18 Paul McCartney releases "Spies Like Us"
- 1986-07-14 Paul McCartney releases single "Press", from the album "Press To Play"
- 1986-09-01 Paul McCartney releases "Press to Play" album
- 1986-10-27 Paul McCartney releases single "Pretty Little Head"
- 1986-12-01 Paul McCartney releases "Only Love Remains"
- 1987-11-02 George Harrison releases "Cloud 9" & Paul McCartney releases "All the Best"
- 1987-11-16 Paul McCartney releases "Once Upon a Long Ago"
- 1989-05-08 Paul McCartney releases remake of "Ferry Cross the Mersey" in aid of those affected by the Hillsborough disaster, which claimed the lives of 96 Liverpool football fans
- 1989-06-05 Paul McCartney releases "Flowers in the Dirt", his eighth solo studio album, featuring the Elvis Costello collaboration "My Brave Face"
- 1989-07-17 Paul McCartney releases single "This One", form hos album "Flowers In The Dirt"
- 1989-11-13 Paul McCartney releases "Figure of 8" & "Ou Est Le Soleil"
- 1997-03-11 Beatle Paul McCartney knighted by Queen Elizabeth II
- 1999-03-15 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees: Billy Joel; Curtis Mayfield; Paul McCartney; Del Shannon; Dusty Springfield; Bruce Springsteen; The Staple Singers; Charles Brown; Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys; and George Martin
- 2002-11-29 "The Concert for George", a benefit memorial to George Harrison held at the Royal Albert Hall, London, features Eric Clapton; Paul McCartney; Ringo Starr; Jeff Lynne; Tom Petty; Joe Brown; Anoushka Shankar; Billy Preston; and members of Monty Python
- 2003-05-24 Paul McCartney performs in his first-ever concert in Russia, in Moscow's Red Square, to a crowd of over 100,000 people
- 2004-06-25 Glastonbury Festival in Pilton, England opens: Oasis, Paul McCartney, and Muse headline; other performers include Wilco, The Black-Eyed Peas, James Brown, Damien Rice, Toots & The Maytals, and The Rutles
- 2005-07-02 Live 8 concert at Hyde Park, London, England; performers include Paul McCartney, U2, Coldplay, Elton John, Sting, Madonna, The Who, Pink Floyd, and R.E.M.
- 2007-06-05 Paul McCartney releases "Memory Almost Full", in US; his fourteenth solo studio album was the first release on Starbucks' Hear Music label
- 2018-07-26 Sir Paul McCartney performs a secret gig at the Cavern Club in Liverpool, where the Beatles began