Why Famous: Paul Newman is best known as an award-winning actor.
During a varied career he was also a film director, entrepreneur, professional racing driver and auto racing team owner.
His awards included an Academy Award for best actor for his performance in the 1986 Martin Scorsese film "The Color of Money" and eight other nominations, six Golden Globe Awards (including three honorary ones), a BAFTA Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award, a Cannes Film Festival Award, an Emmy Award among others.
He was also the co-founder of food company Newman's Own, from which Newman donated all the after-tax profits and royalties to charity.
- 1958-01-29 Academy Award-winning actor Paul Newman (33) weds "The Three Faces of Eve" actress Joanne Woodward (27) at the El Rancho hotel-casino in Las Vegas
- 1967-11-01 "Cool Hand Luke", starring Paul Newman, George Kennedy, and Strother Martin, is released
- 1969-09-23 "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" directed by George Roy Hill and starring Paul Newman and Robert Redford premieres
- 1973-12-25 "The Sting" directed by George Roy Hill, starring Paul Newman and Robert Redford and music inspired by Scott Joplin premieres in Los Angeles and New York (Best Picture 1974)
- 1974-12-14 Disaster film "The Towering Inferno" is released, starring Steve McQueen and Paul Newman
- 1981-02-06 Crime film "Fort Apache: The Bronx" starring Paul Newman released amid protests in the US
- 1987-03-30 59th Academy Awards: "Platoon", Paul Newman & Marlee Matlin win
- 1990-04-05 Paul Newman wins a court victory over Julius Gold, to keep giving all profits from Newman foods to charity