Full Name: William Payne Stewart
Why Famous: Won 11 PGA Tour events, including three major championships: the 1989 PGA Championship, the 1991 U.S. Open, and the 1999 U.S. Open.
A popular golfer with spectators, Payne was known for his distinctive clothing.
- 1985-07-21 British Open Golf, Royal St George's GC: Scotsman Sandy Lyle wins his only Open title by 1 stroke from runner-up Payne Stewart; last time event features double cut (after 36 and 54 holes), introduced in 1968
- 1989-08-13 PGA Championship, Kemper Lakes GC: Payne Stewart wins first of 3 major titles by 1 from Andy Bean, Mike Reid & Curtis Strange
- 1990-07-22 British Open Golf, St Andrews: Englishman Nick Faldo wins the 2nd of his 3 Open Championships by 5 strokes from runners-up Mark McNulty & Payne Stewart
- 1991-06-17 US Open Golf, Hazeline National GC: Payne Stewart wins a Monday playoff with 1987 champion Scott Simpson
- 1991-12-01 Reigning US Open champion Payne Stewart wins only 1 hole, but claims the Skins Game at La Quinta and sets record in the process; 3-foot birdie putt at 14th hole earns 8 skins worth $260,000; record for most money won on 1 hole
- 1999-06-20 US Open Golf, Pinehurst CC: Payne Stewart wins his 2nd Open by 1 shot from Phil Mickelson