Why Famous: Penny Marshall made her name as an actress in the TV sitcom "Laverne and Shirley" (1976-83), created by her brother Garry Marshall. The series, a spin-off from "Happy Days" was successful on its own terms and by its third season was the most popular series on US TV.
Marshall's career as a director began directing several "Laverne and Shirley" episodes before going on to direct such successful films as "Big" with Tom Hanks, "Awakenings" (1990) with Robert De Niro and "A League of our Own" (1992) starring Geena Davis and Madonna. She was one of the first women to become a big name director in Hollywood, with "Big" she became the first woman to direct a film that earned over $100 million.
- 1971-04-10 Actress Penny Marshall marries actor and director Rob Reiner
- 1972-09-16 Penny Marshall appears on "The Bob Newhart Show" in "Fly Unfriendly Skies"
- 1976-01-27 "Laverne & Shirley" TV spinoff from "Happy Days" starring Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams premieres on ABC TV
- 1983-05-10 TV sitcom "Laverne & Shirley" last airs on ABC-TV
- 1988-06-03 "Big" film directed by Penny Marshall, starring Tom Hanks premieres in US
- 1995-05-22 TV sitcom Laverne & Shirley 20th anniversary reunion special, televised