Full Name: Pyotr Alexeyevich
Profession: Russian Tsar
Biography: Expanded the Tsardom into a huge empire and a major European power.
Throughout his reign he was very interested in shipbuilding and maritime power.
- 1712-02-19 Russian Tsar Peter the Great officially marries Polish-Lithuanian pre-marriedeasant Martha Skavronskaya at Saint Isaac's Cathedral in Saint Petersburg, having earlier married in secret in 1707
- 1682-06-29 Sofia Alekseyevna names herself regent of Russia for her brothers Ivan V and half-brother Peter I
- 1696-07-18 Tsar Peter I's fleet occupies Azov at mouth of Don River
- 1698-01-07 Russian Tsar Peter the Great departs Netherlands for England
- 1698-08-18 Russian Tsar Peter the Great arrives in Zaandam
- 1698-08-25 Tsar Peter the Great returns to Moscow after trip through Western Europe
- 1698-09-05 Russian Tsar Peter the Great imposes a tax on beards
- 1699-12-20 Russian Tsar Peter the Great ordered Russian New Year changed from Sept 1 to Jan 1
- 1703-05-27 Saint Petersburg (Leningrad) founded by Russian Tsar Peter the Great
- 1707-09-15 Ferenc Rákóczi II, Prince of Transylvania and Tsar Peter the Great sign social security agreement
- 1709-06-27 Peter the Great of Russia defeats Charles XII of Sweden at the Battle of Poltava, Charles goes into exile
- 1710-01-27 Tsar Peter the Great sets first Russian state budget
- 1711-08-01 Surrounded Tsar Peter the Great flees Azov
- 1716-11-03 Pacification Treaty of Warsaw: Tsar Peter the Great guarantees Saxon monarch August I's Polish kingdom
- 1721-01-25 Tsar Peter the Great ends Russian-orthodox patriarchy
- 1721-10-22 Tsar Peter the Great becomes "All-Russian Imperator"
- 1722-01-24 Tsar Peter the Great begins civil system
- 1724-01-28 The Russian Academy of Sciences founded in St. Petersburg by Peter the Great, and implemented in a Senate decree. Called St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences until 1917.
- 1772-04-06 Catherine the Great Empress of Russia, ends tax on men with beards, enacted by Tsar Peter the Great in 1698
- 2022-06-09 Russian leader Vladimir Putin compares himself to Tsar Peter the Great, who conquered the Baltic coast, at an exhibition to the Tsar in Moscow
- "I have conquered an empire but I have not been able to conquer myself."