Profession: Olympic Executive and Commissioner of Baseball
Why Famous: Orchestrated the organization of the 1984 Summer Olympics, which involved a Soviet-led boycott and was the first Summer Olympics since 1932 to make a profit.
- 1982-11-01 MLB owners vote not to renew Commissioner Bowie Kuhn's contract; AL owners vote for Kuhn, 11-3, and NL, 7-5, 2 shy of 3/4 majority required for re-election; eventually replaced by Peter Ueberroth
- 1984-03-03 Peter Ueberroth elected baseball commissioner (Effective Oct 1)
- 1984-10-01 Peter Ueberroth replaces Bowie Kuhn as 6th commissioner of Major League Baseball; he has a 4 year tenure
- 1985-03-18 Commissioner Peter Ueberroth reinstates Willie Mays & Mickey Mantle
- 1989-04-01 A. Bartlett Giamatti replaces Peter Ueberroth as 7th commissioner of Major League Baseball; dies suddenly of a heart attack 5 months later
- 1989-04-12 Peter Ueberroth deal to purchase Eastern Airlines falls through