Profession: Prince of Wales
Why Famous: Charles is the eldest child and heir apparent of Queen Elizabeth II, and the longest-serving heir apparent in British history, having held the position since 1952.
His interests and work as the heir to the British throne has encompassed numerous interests and organisations, including The Prince's Trust and The Prince's Charities. He has championed organic farming and action on climate change, and, more controversially, has supported some forms of alternative medicine.
Charles has been an occasionally controversial figure and has been subject to intense media speculation, particularly over his relationships with his first wife Diana Spencer and his current wife Camilla Parker Bowles.
- 1981-07-29 His Royal Highness Charles, Prince of Wales weds Lady Diana Spencer at St Paul's Cathedral, London
- 1995-12-19 Queen Elizabeth askes Prince Charles & Diana to divorce
- 1996-07-15 Prince Charles and Princess Diana sign divorce papers
- 2005-04-09 His Royal Highness Charles, Prince of Wales marries Camilla Parker Bowles
- 1969-07-01 Investiture of Prince Charles as the Prince of Wales is watched by large crowds in Caernarfon, Wales and by millions on television
- 1981-02-24 Britain's Prince Charles announces engagement to Lady Diana Spencer
- 1982-06-28 Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales, name their baby "William"
- 1984-05-17 Prince Charles calls proposed addition to the National Gallery, London, a "monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved and elegant friend," sparking controversy on the role of the Royal Family and course of modern architecture.
- 1988-03-10 Avalanche at Swiss Ski resort Klosters nearly kills Prince Charles
- 1995-11-20 Princess Diana admits she cheated on Prince Charles in a TV interview
- 2000-03-30 Richard Branson is knighted by Charles, Prince of Wales for "services to entrepreneurship" at Buckingham Palace, London
- 2005-02-10 His Royal Highness Charles, Prince of Wales announces engagement to Camilla Parker Bowles
- 2015-05-19 Historic first handshake between Prince Charles and Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams at the National University of Ireland in Galway
- 2017-11-12 For the first time Prince Charles lays the wreath to Great Britain's war dead, replacing Queen Elizabeth
- 2018-04-20 Commonwealth countries decide Prince Charles will suceed Queen Elizabeth as the next head of the Commonwealth