Full Name: Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark
Profession: Duke of Edinburgh
Biography: The longest-serving consort in British history, Philip has been the husband of Queen Elizabeth II since 1947 and has been the monarch's consort since her accession in 1952.
Born in Greece to the Greek and Danish royal families, Philip joined the Royal Navy in 1939 and served in the Second World War. The same year he began correspondence with then Princess Elizabeth. Prior to his engagement he dropped his Greek and Danish titles and became a naturalized British subject.
Keen on sports, Philip helped develop carriage driving and launched the renowned Duke of Edinburgh's Awards. He has a popular reputation for his sharp wit and for occasionally making jokes and gaffes occasionally considered inappropriate, if humorous.
In 2017 he announced his retirement from royal responsibilities at the age of 96, having completed 22,219 solo engagements since 1952. Philip is the oldest-ever male member of the royal family.
- 1947-11-20 Future British Queen Princess Elizabeth II (21) weds Lt Philip Mountbatten (26) in Westminster Abbey, London
- 1939-06-22 Princess and future Queen Elizabeth meets future husband Prince Philip of Greece (Midshipman Mountbatten, RN)
- 1947-07-09 Engagement of Britain's Princess Elizabeth and Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten
- 1957-10-16 Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip visits Williamsburg Virginia
- 1957-10-17 Britain's Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip visit the White House
- 1986-10-12 Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, visit the People's Republic of China
- 2016-11-04 British TV series "The Crown" premieres with Claire Foy playing Queen Elizabeth II and Matt Smith as Prince Philip
- 2017-08-02 Great Britain's Prince Philip aged 96 makes his final solo public appearance before retiring from public engagements
- 2021-04-17 Funeral of Prince Philip, consort to Queen Elizabeth II, held under COVID-19 restrictions at Windsor Palace, England