Full Name: Rajiv Ratna Gandhi
Profession: Indian Prime Minister
Why Famous: A member of the India's great political dynasty, Rajiv Gandhi was Prime Minister of India for five years until his resignation in 1989.
Rajiv was recruited into politics after the death of his brother and politician Sanjay Gandhi, in an accident, by his mother Indira Gandhi, India's first woman Prime Minister. His mother was herself the daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru, India's first Prime Minister and follower of Mahatma Gandhi (no relative).
Ghandhi resigned after his defeat in parliamentary elections in 1989 and after financial scandals had damaged his government. He was assassinated while on the campaign trail by the Tamil Tigers in 1991 and his wife Sonia Gandhi succeed him as head of the Congress Party.
- 1984-10-31 Rajiv Gandhi takes office as India's 6th Prime Minister succeeding his mother Indira Gandhi who was assassinated
- 1984-12-28 Rajiv Gandhi's Congress party wins the general election in India
- 1984-12-29 Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi claims victory in parliamentary elections
- 1985-07-24 Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi signs a peace accord with Sikh leader Harchand Singh Longowai to settle the three-year Punjab crisis
- 1985-08-17 Rajiv Gandhi announces Punjab state elections in India
- 1986-10-02 Sikhs attempt to assassinate Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi
- 1989-11-26 India's Congress Party led by then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi loses the general election to an opposition front led by V. P. Singh
- 1989-11-29 Rajiv Gandhi resigns as Prime Minister of India after losing national elections
- Sikh Leader in Punjab Accord Assassinated - Los Angeles Times