Profession: Diplomat and Nobel Laureate
Why Famous: Received the 1950 Nobel Peace Prize for his late 1940s mediation in Palestine, making him the first African American and person of color to be so honored in the history of the prize. He was involved in the formation and administration of the United Nations, and was awarded the Medal of Freedom by President John F. Kennedy.
- 1930-06-23 Diplomat Ralph Bunche (25) weds Ruth Harris
- 1944-01-04 Ralph Bunche appointed 1st African American official in US State Department
- 1948-09-18 Ralph Bunche confirmed as acting UN mediator in Palestine
- 1950-09-23 Nobel peace prize awarded to Ralph Bunche for mediation in Israel - 1st African American winner
- 1950-12-10 Ralph Bunche (1st black American) presented the Nobel Peace Prize for mediation in Israel
- 1954-08-19 American Ralph Bunche named undersecretary of the UN