Profession: President of Turkey
Biography: Erdoğan is the current President of Turkey, having previously served as Prime Minister from 2003 to 2014 and Mayor of Istanbul from 1994 to 1998. He is also the founder of the Justice and Development Party (AKP), which he led from its origin in 2001 until his election as President in 2014.
As President, Erdoğan's regime has been characterised as increasingly authoritarian; he also overcame an attempted military coup d'état in 2016. Meanwhile, Turkey has been embroiled in the conflict in Syria and in fighting against Kurdish groups in the region.
- 2007-04-14 At least 200,000 demonstrators in Ankara, Turkey protest against the possible candidacy of incumbent Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.
- 2017-04-16 Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan wins referendum on 18-article constitutional reform package
- 2018-06-24 Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan wins second term with president's AK Party winning 42% parliamentary votes
- 2018-10-23 Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan rejects Saudi claim journalist Jamal Khashoggi killed accidentally, says it was premeditated murder
- 2018-10-29 New mega airport opened in Istanbul by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, planning to be world' busiest with 90 million passengers by 2021
- 2019-10-17 Turkey agrees to a ceasefire in Northern Syria for 5 days to allow withdrawal of Kurdish troops, after talks between US Vice President Mike Pence and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- 2019-10-22 Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan agree deal to jointly control former Kurdish territory in Northern Syria
- 2020-03-02 Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey can not longer enforce 2016 deal with EU to stop migrants entering Europe, warns millions may try
- 2020-07-10 Sixth century cathedral Hagia Sophia turned into a mosque by decree issued by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan (converted to a mosque 1453-1934)
- 2021-04-26 President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announces Turkey will go into full lockdown till May 17 to a curb COVID-19 surge and world's 4th highest caseload
- 2021-06-05 Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan promises to save the country's shores from a build-up of 'sea snot' (marine mucilage) due to pollution and climate change
- 2022-08-18 Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan and UN Secretary General António Guterres warn of "another Chernobyl" due to fighting by Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant at a summit in Lviv
- Turkey announces full lockdown in bid to halt COVID surge - Al Jazeera
- Ukraine war: Damage to nuclear plant would be suicide - UN chief By Matt Murphy - BBC News