Biography: Renée Zellweger made her film breakthrough in the 1996 film "Jerry Maguire" opposite Tom Cruise. Her next major success was "Me, Myself and Irene" (2000) with Jim Carrey, with whom she became briefly engaged. She then won a Golden Globe award for the lead role in the dark comedy "Nurse Betty" (2000).
In 2001 Zellweger appeared as Bridget Jones, the title character from the novel by Helen Fielding opposite Hugh Grant and Colin Firth, amid controversy that an American actress had been cast for a very British role. However the film was a worldwide success and two sequels have followed.
Zellweger's success continued with the musical "Chicago (2002) which won the Oscar for Best Film and "Cold Mountain" for which she won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress as well as the Golden Globe and BAFTA. Zellweger took a six-year break from acting, returning to the industry in 2016. In 2019 she won the Oscar for Best Actress playing Judy Garland in the biopic "Judy".
- 2005-05-09 Oscar-winning actress Renée Zellweger (36) weds country-music heartthrob singer Kenny Chesney (37) on the island of St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands
- 2005-12-20 Actress Renée Zellweger (36) annuls her marriage to country-music singer Kenny Chesney (37) citing fraud, after 4 months of marriage
- 2002-12-27 "Chicago" (Best Picture 2003), based on John Kander and Fred Ebb's musical, directed by Rob Marshall, starring Renée Zellweger, Richard Gere, and Catherine Zeta-Jones released.
- 2020-01-05 77th Golden Globes: "1917" Best Drama, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" Best Comedy/Musical, acting awards Renée Zellweger, Joaquin Phoenix, Awkwafina, Taron Edgerton
- 2020-02-02 73rd British Academy Film Awards (BAFTAs): "1917" Best Film, Sam Mendes Best Director, Renée Zellweger, Joaquin Phoenix best actors
- 2020-02-09 92nd Academy Awards: "Parasite" 1st non English film to win Best Picture, Best Director Bong Joon-ho, Best Actor Joaquin Phoenix, Best Actress Renée Zellweger