Full Name: Wilhelm Richard Wagner
Biography: Primarily known for his operas. Unlike most opera composers, he wrote both the libretto and the music for each of his stage works. His life was characterised by political exile, turbulent love affairs, poverty and repeated flight from his creditors.
His most famous opera include "The Flying Dutchman" and "The Ring of the Nibelung"
- 1870-08-25 German composer Richard Wagner (57) weds Franz Liszt's daughter Cosima Liszt (32) at a Protestant church in Lucerne, Switzerland
- 1843-01-02 Richard Wagner's opera "The Flying Dutchman" premieres in Dresden
- 1845-10-19 Richard Wagner's opera "Tannhäuser" premieres in Dresden
- 1850-08-28 Richard Wagner's opera "Lohengrin" premieres at Weimar, Germany
- 1865-06-10 Richard Wagner's opera "Tristan und Isolde" premieres in Munich, Germany
- 1869-09-22 Richard Wagner's opera "Das Rheingold" (the 1st piece of his "Ring" cycle) premieres in Munich, Germany
- 1870-06-26 Richard Wagner's opera "Valkyrie", second in his Ring Cycle premieres in Munich, featuring "Ride of the Valkyries"
- 1876-08-13 The Bayreuth Festspielhaus opens with the first complete performance of Richard Wagner's Ring Cycle
- 1876-08-17 Richard Wagner's opera "Götterdämmerung" premieres in Bayreuth
- 1882-01-13 Richard Wagner completes his opera "Parsifal"
- 1882-07-26 Richard Wagner's opera "Parsifal" premieres in Bayreuth, Germany