Profession: US Attorney General
Why Famous: Served as a Senator for New York from 1965 until his assassination in 1968. He was previously the 64th U.S. Attorney General from 1961 to 1964, serving under his older brother, President John F. Kennedy and his successor, President Lyndon B. Johnson.
An icon of modern American liberalism and member of the Democratic Party, he was a leading candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination in the 1968 election.
- 1950-06-17 US Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy (24) weds Ethel Kennedy (22) at St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Greenwich, Connecticut
- 1962-02-25 Robert F. Kennedy visits Netherlands
- 1964-09-03 US attorney general Robert F. Kennedy resigns
- 1968-03-16 Robert F. Kennedy announces presidential campaign
- 1968-06-06 Senator Robert F. Kennedy dies from his wounds after he was shot the previous night
- 1968-06-07 The body of assassinated U.S. Senator Robert Kennedy lies in state at St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York
- 1968-06-08 The body of assassinated U.S. Senator Robert F. Kennedy is laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery
- 1969-04-17 Sirhan Sirhan is convicted of assassinating US Senator Robert F. Kennedy
- 2001-11-20 US President George W. Bush dedicates the US Department of Justice headquarters the Robert F. Kennedy Justice Building, on what would have been his 76th birthday