Profession: Zimbabwean President
Biography: Mugabe was one of the leaders of the resistance against white minority rule in Rhodesia, eventually leading the ZANU-PF to victory and becoming the President of Zimbabwe in 1980 after the Lancaster House Agreement that ended the Rhodesian Bush War.
Despite initially calling for racial reconciliation, Mugabe crushed opposition, particularly the ZAPU-linked opposition in Matabeleland during the Gukurahundi. In 2000 he instituted a series of land reform policies which redistributed white-owned farmland to native Africans. This caused economic disaster, international condemnation and, in 2008 and 2009, an episode of hyperinflation that completely wiped out the value of the Zimbabwean dollar.
Under Mugabe's leadership Zimbabwe has become one of the most desperately poor countries in the world and he has been widely criticized for widespread human rights violations.
In November 2017, after a power struggle between factions in the ruling ZANU-PF party, a military coup occurred in Zimbabwe which led to Mugabe's resignation as president. He was succeeded by Emmerson Mnangagwa, who he had sacked weeks prior.
- 1996-08-17 Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe (72) weds Grace Marufu (31) at Kutama College in Mashonaland West, Zimbabwe
- 1980-01-27 Robert Mugabe returns to Rhodesia after 5 years in exile
- 1980-03-04 Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe African National Union - Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF) comes to power, winning the parliamentary election in Zimbabwe, making Mugabe Zimbabwe's first black prime minister
- 1985-07-05 Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe African National Union - Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF) party wins re-election in Zimbabwe for a second term
- 1987-12-30 Premier Mugabe elected President of Zimbabwe
- 2013-08-01 Robert Mugabe continues to maintain power after winning 142 out of 210 seats in the Zimbabwean election
- 2017-08-13 Grace Mugabe, wife of the President of Zimbabwe, accused of assault in Johannesburg, South Africa
- 2017-11-14 Zimbabwe Army seizes key sites in capital Harare following tensions over Robert Mugabe's dismissal of vice-president Emmerson Mnangagwa
- 2017-11-15 The Zimbabwean Army detains Robert Mugabe and the first family and appoints sacked Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa as interim president
- 2017-11-19 Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe refuses to resign in a TV speech after being ousted as leader of ruling ZANU-PF party
- 2017-11-21 Robert Mugabe's resignation after 37 years in power is read out in Zimbabwe's parliaments during impeachment proceedings
- 2017-11-24 Former First Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa is sworn in as President of Zimbabwe, replacing Robert Mugabe's 30-year tenure
- 2021-05-10 Kazungula road and rail bridge 1km long opens over the Zambezi River linking Botswana and Zambia, with a curve so it doesn't encroach on Zimbabwe (Robert Mugabe opposed it)