Profession: 1st British Prime Minister
Biography: One of the greatest politicians in British history, Walpole served as the first Prime Minister of Great Britain and dominated the government from 1721 to 1742.
- 1721-04-03 Robert Walpole becomes Britain's 1st Lord of the Treasury - effective Prime Minister, although that term was never officially used (indeed, it was considered an insult) until much later
- 1735-09-22 Robert Walpole becomes the first British "Prime Minister" (actually First Lord of the Treasury) to live at 10 Downing Street
- 1739-10-23 War of Jenkins' Ear starts: British Prime Minister, Robert Walpole, reluctantly declares war on Spain
- 1742-02-02 British government of Robert Walpole resigns
- 1742-02-09 Sir Robert Walpole, often referred to as the first British Prime Minister, ennobled as 1st Earl of Orford