Profession: Victim of Police Violence
Why Famous: Rodney King, an African American construction worker was on parole for robbery when after a car chase in Los Angeles he was stopped and beaten by LA police officers in 1991. The beating was filmed and shown around the world.
Four of the police officers were acquitted of assault in a Los Angeles court, sparking the 1992 LA riots in which 53 people were killed. Two of these officers were subsequently convicted of violating King's civil rights.
King was later awarded US$3.8 million compensation in a federal civil rights case but for the rest of his life struggled to come to terms with the events and his personal addictions, accidentally drowning in 2012.
- 1985-04-27 Police violence victim Rodney King (20) weds Dennetta Lyles
- 1989-02-20 Police violence victim Rodney King (23) weds Crystal Lynnette Waters
- 1991-03-03 Los Angeles police officers severely beat motorist Rodney King, the beating is famously captured on amateur video and later leads to riots when the police officers are acquitted
- 1991-03-15 4 officers of the Los Angeles Police Department are charged with excessive force over the beating of Rodney King
- 1992-02-05 Jury selection begins in the trial of Los Angeles police charged with beating Rodney King
- 1992-04-29 Jury acquits Los Angeles Police Department officers on charges of excessive force in the beating of Rodney King; the decision sparks massive riots in the city
- 1992-05-01 Los Angeles Dodgers postpone 3 MLB games due to racial riots over the infamous Rodney King beating
- 1992-05-04 US Army and Marine Corps forces arrive in Los Angeles to end rioting following the acquittal of four police officers over the beating of Rodney King
- 1992-08-05 4 officers of the Los Angeles Police Department, acquttied on charges of beating Rodney King, are indicted on civil rights charges
- 1993-02-03 Federal trial of 4 police officers charged with civil rights violations in videotaped beating of Rodney King begins in Los Angeles, California
- 1993-04-16 Jury reaches guilty verdict in federal case against police officers (two convicted, two acquitted) who beat Rodney King, but the verdict is not read until April 17th
- 1993-04-17 Two Los Angeles police officers convicted in federal court of violating Rodney King's civil rights and sentenced to prison, while two others are acquitted,
- 1994-04-19 Rodney King awarded $3,800,000 compensation by the Los Angeles County for his police beating