Profession: President of the Philippines
Biography: Duterte took office as President of the Philippines in 2016, having most recently served as vice mayor (2010-2013) and then mayor (2013-2016) of Davao City.
Duterte is best known outside the Philippines for his hard stance on drugs, crime, and corruption; with many having criticized him for being too harsh in the pursuit of these aims. Such criticisms have also turned to his time as mayor of Davao, with claims of death squads being used in the war on drugs.
Overall he has been a polarizing figure within the Philippines, with people tending to love or hate him; and a controversial figure internationally, where the media has tended to focus on his strongman persona and the costs of his actions.
- 2016-05-09 Rodrigo Duterte wins Philippine presidential election, promising war on drug trade and killing of criminals
- 2016-12-12 Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte boasts he killed susected criminals personally when mayor of Davao City
- 2017-08-16 Philippine police kill 32 in raids near Manilia, most deadly night in President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs
- 2017-10-17 Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte declares city of Marawi "liberated" from militants
- 2019-10-05 Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte reveals he has a neuromuscular disease, myasthenia gravis, causing him health problems