Full Name: Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima
Profession: Football Star
Why Famous: Widely considered one of the greatest football players of all time, Ronaldo received three FIFA Player of the Year Awards during his career and led Brazil to a World Cup title in 2002.
Recognized as an enormous talent from a young age, Ronaldo he was just 17 when he joined the Brazilian national side in 1994. In 1997 he achieved a then record $21 million transfer fee to play for AC Milan where he came to be known by the nickname “Il Fenomeno.”. In 1999 a knee injury stopping him playing for two years.
At the 2002 FIFA World Cup he was the top goal scorer playing in the Brazilian front role alongside Ronaldinho and Rivaldo. He earned the Golden Shoe Award and helped Brazil to their fifth title. At the 2006 World Cup Ronaldo created a new record of fifteen goals scored across three world cups, breaking Gerd Müller's tally. Injury eventually forced Ronaldo's retirement from playing in 2011.
In 2018 Ronanldo became the majority owner of the Spanish club Real Valladolid.
- 1996-12-24 Ballon d'Or: Borussia Dortmund's German sweeper Matthias Sammer is named best football player in Europe ahead of PSV/Barcelona striker Ronaldo and Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer
- 1997-12-23 Ballon d'Or: Barcelona/Inter's Brazilian striker Ronaldo wins his first of 2 best football player in Europe awards ahead of Real Madrid forward Predrag Mijatović and Juventus midfielder Zinedine Zidane
- 1998-12-22 Ballon d'Or: Juventus' French midfielder Zinedine Zidane is named best football player in Europe ahead of Real Madrid striker Davor Šuker and Inter forward Ronaldo
- 2002-06-30 FIFA World Cup Final, International Stadium, Yokohama, Japan: Ronaldo scores twice as Brazil beats Germany, 2-0 to win record 5th title; first World Cup held in Asia
- 2002-12-12 Ballon d'Or: Inter/Real Madrid forward Ronaldo is named best football player in Europe for a second time ahead of Real Madrid left back Roberto Carlos and Bayern Munich goalkeeper Oliver Kahn