Profession: MLB Catcher
Why Famous: Widely considered to have been one of the greatest catchers in the history of the game, he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers during the 1940s and 1950s, as one of the pioneers in breaking the color barrier in the MLB.
Unfortunately Campanella's career was cut short in 1958 when he was paralyzed in an automobile accident.
- 1939-01-03 MLB catcher Roy Campanella (18) weds Bernice Ray
- 1945-04-30 MLB catcher Roy Campanella (23) weds Ruthe Willis
- 1964-05-05 Hall of Fame catcher Roy Campanella (41) weds long-time friend Roxie Joynes
- 1948-07-01 Brooklyn's future Baseball Hall of Fame catcher Roy Campanella debuts with 3 hits in a 6-4 loss to the rival NY Giants
- 1951-11-01 Brooklyn Dodgers catcher Roy Campanella wins first of his 3 National League MVP awards
- 1951-11-19 Roy Campanella named NL MVP on his 30th birthday
- 1953-09-06 Roy Campanella sets record for HRs by a catcher at 38
- 1953-09-07 Roy Campanella sets catcher record of 125 (en route to 142) RBIs
- 1955-12-08 Brooklyn catcher Roy Campanella wins his 3rd MVP Award
- 1958-01-28 Dodger catcher Roy Campanella is paralyzed in an automobile wreck
- 1959-05-07 "Roy Campanella Night" Largest baseball crowd at 93,103 at the LA Coliseum see Yankees beat Dodgers 6-2 in exhibition game
- 1969-01-22 Roy Campanella & Stan Musial elected to baseball Hall of Fame