Why Famous: Came to international attention for his role as the Roman General Maximus Decimus Meridius in the 2000 historical epic film "Gladiator", directed by Ridley Scott, for which Crowe won an Academy Award for Best Actor. His portrayal of mathematician and Nobel Prize winner John F. Nash in the biopic "A Beautiful Mind" also brought him numerous awards.
- 2003-04-07 Academy Award "Gladiator" actor Russell Crowe (39) weds singer Danielle Spencer (32) at his 560-acre cattle farm in Nana Glen, New South Wales, Australia
- 2000-05-01 "Gladiator" directed by Ridley Scott and starring Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix premieres in LA (Best Picture 2001)
- 2001-03-25 73rd Academy Awards: "Gladiator", Russell Crowe & Julia Roberts win
- 2001-12-13 "A Beautiful Mind" based on the bio by Sylvia Nasar, directed by Ron Howard and starring Russell Crowe premieres in Los Angeles (Best Picture 2002)
- 2002-01-20 59th Golden Globes: "A Beautiful Mind", Russell Crowe, & Sissy Spacek win