Full Name: Salvador Guillermo Allende Gossens
Profession: Marxist and President of Chile
Why Famous: Physician and politician, Allende was inaugurated in 1970 as Chile's first socialist president and sought to restructure Chilean society along socialist lines while maintaining a democratic form of government.
He committed suspected suicide in 1973 after his government was overthrown in a military coup led by general and future dictator Augusto Pinochet.
Died: September 11, 1973 (aged 65)
Cause of Death: Widely believed to have committed suicide by shooting himself during the military takeover of power in Chile although rumors he was assassinated by the military persist.
- 1970-09-04 Marxist Salvador Allende wins a narrow plurality of votes in Chile's presidential election
- 1970-10-24 Marxist Salvador Allende elected President of Chile by the Chilean Congress
- 1970-11-03 Marxist Salvador Allende inaugurated as President of Chile
- 1972-06-17 Chilean President Salvador Allende forms a new socialist government
- 1973-09-11 Chilean President Salvador Allende, the 1st elected Marxist president of a South America country, is deposed in a military coup led by general Augusto Pinochet