Profession: Film Director
Why Famous: The prominent British director, producer and screenwriter began his career directing Judi Dench aged 24 in Chekhov's "The Cherry Orchard in London's West End. Since then he has gone on to major success, including his 1999 film "American Beauty" for which he won an Academy award and a Golden Globe.
Mendes works on both stage and screen, he was artistic director of London's acclaimed Donmar Warehouse theater from 1992-2002. There he directed a revival of the musical "Caberet" that went on perform on Broadway and win Mendes a Tony award.
Mendes other prominent screen projects include two films for the James Bond franchise, "Skyfall" (2012) and Spectre (2015) both starring Daniel Craig. His other critically well received films include "Road to Perdition" (2002) and "Revolutionary Road" (2008) with his then wife Kate Winslet. In 2019 he released the WWI drama "1917" to widespread acclaim. In 2020 he was knighted for his services to drama.
- 1999-09-08 "American Beauty", directed by Sam Mendes and starring Kevin Spacey, Annette Bening, and Thora Birch, premieres in Los Angeles (Best Picture 2000)
- 1999-09-18 24th Toronto International Film Festival: "American Beauty" directed by Sam Mendes wins the People's Choice Award
- 2012-10-23 "Skyfall", 23rd James Bond film, directed by Sam Mendes and starring Daniel Craig and Javier Bardem premieres in London
- 2015-10-26 "Spectre", 24th James Bond film, directed by Sam Mendes and starring Daniel Craig premieres in London
- 2020-02-02 73rd British Film awards (BAFTAS): "1917" Best Film, Sam Mendes Best Director, Renée Zellweger, Joaquin Phoenix best actors