Biography: He contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs and a co-developer of the Morse code.
- 1818-09-29 Inventor Samuel Morse (27) weds Lucretia Walker in Concord, New Hampshire
- 1848-08-10 Inventor Samuel Morse (57) weds Sarah Elizabeth Griswold in Utica, New York
- 1838-01-06 Samuel Morse and Alfred Vail demonstrate their telegraph machine in New Jersey
- 1838-01-11 First public demonstration of telegraph messages sent using dots and dashes at Speedwell Ironworks in Morristown, New Jersey by Samuel Morse and Alfred Vail
- 1840-06-20 Samuel Morse patents his telegraph
- 1844-05-24 Samuel Morse taps out "What hath God wrought" in the world's first telegraph message
- 1982-07-10 Samuel Morse's "Gallery of the Louvre" sells for $3,250,000