Full Name: Sanath Jayasuriya
Nationality: Sri Lankan
Why Famous: Widely regarded as one of the greatest One-Day International players of all time; his style of play is considered to have revolutionized ODI cricket by introducing the hard-hitting strategy now adopted by all competing nations.
He played as captain for the Sri Lankan national team for many years. He is the only player to score over 12,000 runs and capture more than 300 wickets in ODI cricket.
- 1989-12-26 ODI cricket debut for Australia's Mark Taylor and Sri Lanka's Sanath Jayasuriya at the MCG
- 1991-02-22 Test Cricket debut of Sanath Jayasuriya, vs NZ at Hamilton
- 1996-03-09 Sri Lanka's Sanath Jayasuriya hammers 82 off 44 balls (13x4 3x6) v England in Cricket World Cup Quarter Final
- 1996-04-02 Sri Lanka 9-349 in 50 overs beat Pakistan 315 all out, Sanath Jayasuriya hits ton in 48 balls, world ODI record at Singapore
- 1996-04-07 Sri Lanka's Sanath Jayasuriya hits fastest ODI fifty off 17 balls v Pakistan, Singapore