Profession: 1500m Runner
Why Famous: As a track and field athlete Sebastian Coe won four Olympic medals, including two gold medals for the 1500 meters in 1980 and 1984. Throughout his career he set nine world records for outdoor events and three for indoor events.
After his retirement from competitive athletics Coe successfully ran for parliament in 1992 representing the British Conservative Party for the seat of Falmouth and Camborne. He was voted out in 1997.
Coe began a career as a sports administrator, eventually leading London's success bid to hold the 2012 Olympic Summer Games. Coe was appointed to the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) in 2007 as a vice President and elected its President in 2015.
- 1979-07-17 Sebastian Coe runs world record 3:49 mile in Oslo
- 1980-07-01 British runner Steve Ovett breaks countryman Sebastian Coe's world record for the mile in 3:48.8 in Oslo, Norway
- 1981-06-10 Sebastian Coe of England sets 800m record (1:41.73) in Florence
- 1981-07-11 Sebastian Coe of UK sets record for 1K (2:12.18)
- 1981-08-28 Sebastian Coe of UK sets 1-mi record of 3:47.33 (since broken)
- 1984-08-11 A British 1-2 in the 1,500m at the Los Angeles Olympics with Sebastian Coe edging teammate Steve Cram to become the only man to successfully defend his Olympic 1,500m title