Profession: Thoroughbred Race Horse
Biography: One of the most famous racehorses of all time, Secretariat was sired by Bold Ruler, a leading sire who was also the sire of Seattle Slew, and his dam was Somethingroyal, a daughter of Princequillo. Secretariat was bred and owned by Penny Chenery's Meadow Stable.
Secretariat's wins included the 1972 Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes, becoming the first horse since Citation in 1948 to win the Triple Crown. He set racing records in all three races.
His time in the Kentucky Derby still stands as the Churchill Downs track record, and his Belmont time is the American record for one-and-a-half miles on dirt.
Secretariat was retired to stud at Claiborne Farm in Paris, Kentucky, where he eventually became the leading sire in North America for several years.
Born: March 30, 1970
Birthplace: Caroline County, Virginia, USA
Generation: Generation X
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Star Sign: Aries
- 1973-02-26 Triple Crown horse Secretariat bought for a record $5.7m
- 1973-05-05 99th Kentucky Derby: Ron Turcotte aboard Secretariat wins in 1:59.4 - fastest Kentucky Derby ever
- 1973-05-19 98th Preakness: Ron Turcotte aboard Secretariat wins in 1:54 - fastest Preakness race ever (recognized 2012)
- 1973-06-09 105th Belmont: Ron Turcotte aboard Secretariat wins in 2:24, becoming the 1st Triple Crown winner in 25 years
- 1973-09-15 Secretariat wins Marlboro Cup in world record 1:45 2/5 for 1¼ miles