Profession: Founding Father of Bangladesh
Why Famous: The central figure in Bangladesh's liberation movement, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman is considered the founding father of Bangladesh.
He served twice as the country's President and was its strongman premier between 1972 and 1975 and leader of the nationalist party, the Awami League.
Amid rising political agitation following a famine in 1974, Rahman initiated one party socialist rule in January 1975. In August of the same year he and most of his family were assassinated by renegade junior army officers during a coup.
He is popularly rembemered as the Bangabandhu (Friend of Bengal).
His daughter Sheikh Hasina Wajed, serves as the current Prime Minister of Bangladesh.
- 1971-03-26 Bangladesh (East Pakistan) under Sheikh Mujibur Rahman declares its independence from Pakistan
- 1972-01-05 President of Bangladesh Sheikh Mujibur Rahman freed by the newly elected President of Pakistan Zulfikar Ali Bhutto
- 1972-01-10 Sheikh Mujibur Rahman arrives in Dacca, East-Pakistan
- 1972-01-11 Abu Sayeed Chudhury becomes President of Bangladesh and Sheikh Mujibur Rahman premier
- 1973-03-07 Sheikh Mujibur Rahman's Awami League wins election in Bangladesh
- 1975-01-25 Bangladeshi parliament disposes of premier Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
- 1975-08-14 -15] Pakistani military coup against Bangladeshi President Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
- 2010-01-28 Five murderers of Bangladeshi President Sheikh Mujibur Rahman hanged: Lieutenant Colonel Syed Faruq Rahman, Lieutenant Colonel Sultan Shahriar Rashid Khan, Major AKM Mohiuddin Ahmed, Major Bazlul Huda and Lieutenant Colonel Mohiuddin Ahmed