Profession: Israeli Statesman
Why Famous: The 9th President of Israel (2007-14), Peres also served twice as Israeli Prime Minister and twice as Interim Prime Minister.
In a political career spanning nearly 70 years, Peres was a member of 12 Israeli cabinets.
With Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) leaders, Yitzhak Rabin and Yasser Arafat, Peres won the 1994 Nobel Peace Prize for the peace talks that led to the Oslo Accords. Peres was the Israeli Foreign Minister at the time.
- 1977-04-22 Shimon Peres becomes the 8th Prime Minister of Israel
- 1984-09-13 Shimon Peres forms Israeli government with Likud
- 1986-01-19 Israeli Premier Shimon Peres visits Netherlands
- 1986-07-23 Moroccan King Hassan II meets with Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres
- 1986-09-11 Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak receives Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres
- 1986-10-10 Shimon Peres resigns as Prime Minister of Israel
- 1993-09-13 Israeli Minister of Foreign Affairs Shimon Peres and PLO official Mahmoud Abbas sign the Oslo I peace accord
- 1994-10-14 Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Yasser Arafat, Yitzhak Rabin and Shimon Peres
- 1994-12-10 Nobel Peace Prize presented to Yitzhak Rabin, Shimon Peres and Yasser Arafat
- 1995-12-12 Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres addresses both houses of the US Congress