Profession: Military and Political Leader
Why Famous: Played a key role in the revolutions against the Spanish empire in South America.
Following the triumph over the Spanish monarchy, Bolívar participated in the foundation of the first union of independent nations in Latin America, a republic, now known as Gran Colombia, of which he was president from 1819 to 1830.
- 1813-05-23 South American independence leader Simón Bolívar enters Mérida, leading the invasion of Venezuela, and is proclaimed El Libertador ("The Liberator")
- 1813-09-30 Battle of Bárbula: Simón Bolívar defeats Santiago Bobadilla
- 1822-07-26 Secret meeting of Simón Bolívar and Jose de San Martin
- 1823-09-10 Simón Bolívar named President of Peru
- 1824-02-10 Simón Bolívar named dictator by the Congress of Peru
- 1824-08-06 Battle at Junan - Simon Bolívar's army defeats the Spanish
- 1828-06-13 Simon Bolívar proclaimed dictator
- 1829-09-25 Failed assassination attempt on Simon Bolívar