Full Name: Stanley Martin Lieber
Profession: Comic-Book Artist and Marvel Creative Leader
Why Famous: Lee was for many decades Marvel Comics' primary creative leader, and he was responsible for transforming the company from a small family-run business to a creative and publishing empire responsible for some of the most famous comics and characters of all time.
Lee co-created several characters, including Spider-Man, the X-Men, Iron Man, Thor, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Black Panther, Daredevil, Doctor Strange, Scarlet Witch and Ant-Man, almost all of which have since been turned into several successful movies under the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Lee's highly popular work challenged the rules of the Comics Code Authority, leading to change in its rules. He retired from Marvel in the 1990s but remained a figurehead of the company, and continued to work into his 90s.
- 1947-12-05 "Spider-Man" creator Stan Lee (24) weds Joan Clayton Boocock
- 1939-01-12 Timely Comics (later Marvel) founded by American publisher Martin Goodman in New York
- 1977-06-30 Marvel Comics publish "Kiss book" tributing rock group Kiss
- 2008-05-02 First film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe released "Iron Man" directed by Jon Favreau, starring Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark
- 2009-08-31 The Walt Disney Company announces it will acquire Marvel Entertainment for $4.24 billion
- 2009-10-02 "Stan Lee Day" declared by County of Los Angeles and the City of Long Beach
- 2015-07-17 Marvel's "Ant-Man", starring Paul Rudd as the titular character, is released
- 2018-01-29 Marvel film "Black Panther" directed by Ryan Coogler and starring Chadwick Boseman premieres in Los Angeles
- 2018-03-11 Superhero movie "The Black Panther" becomes the fifth Marvel movie to earn $1 billion worldwide
- 2018-04-23 Marvel's "Avengers: Infinity War" directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, starring Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr and large ensemble cast premieres in Los Angeles