Why Famous: Blind soon after birth, Stevland Morris (Wonder) was a child prodigy, signed to Motown records in 1961 aged 11 and given the stage name 'Little Stevie Wonder'. He gained fame in 1963 with the No. 1 hit 'Fingertips Pt(2)'. Wonder began to focus more on song-writing, penning such hits as 'Tears of a Clown' and 'Signed Sealed And Delivered I'm Yours' before releasing his ground-breaking album 'Talking Book' in 1972 and which featured the single 'Superstition' and increasingly songs about political and social issues. In 1972 he was in a car accident which left him in a coma for four days. His 1976 album 'In The Key Of Life' debuted at No 1. Wonder's success continued into the 1980s, his album 'Hotter Than July' included the single 'Happy Birthday', aimed at promoting Martin Luther King's Birthday a national holiday. Wonder has won more Grammy awards than any other solo male artist and was named a United Nations Messenger of Peace in 2009.
- 1970-09-14 Singer Stevie Wonder (20) marries Rita Wright [Syreeta] (24)
- 2001-09-01 Singer-songwriter Stevie Wonder (51) marries for second time fashion designer Kai Millard Morris
- 2012-08-03 Music legend Stevie Wonder (63) divorces fashion designer Kai Millard Morris due to irreconcilable differences after 11 years of marriage
- 1963-06-22 "Little" Stevie Wonder (13) releases "Fingertips"
- 1969-05-31 Stevie Wonder releases "My Cherie Amore"
- 1971-06-25 Stevie Wonder releases "Where I'm Coming From"
- 1973-05-17 Stevie Wonder releases "You are the Sunshine of my Love"
- 1973-08-06 Stevie Wonder involved in car crash, goes into a 4 day coma
- 1974-03-02 16th Grammy Awards: Roberta Flack Best Record - "Killing Me Softly", Stevie Wonder Best Album - "Innervisions"
- 1975-08-05 Stevie Wonder signs $13M contract with Motown
- 1976-09-28 "Songs in the Key of Life" 18th studio album by Stevie Wonder is released (Billboard Song of the Year 1977)
- 1978-01-16 5th American Music Awards: Stevie Wonder, Fleetwood Mac & C Twitty
- 1981-12-30 "That Girl" single released by Stevie Wonder (Billboard Song of the Year 1982)
- 1982-03-26 Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder release "Ebony & Ivory" in the UK
- 1988-07-08 Stevie Wonder announces he will run for mayor of Detroit in 1992