Profession: CEO of YouTube
Why Famous: Susan Wojcicki rented her garage to Google when they were a young start-up, before joining the company as its 16th employee in 1999. She is credited with coming up with the idea of AdSense and with persuading Google's co-founders to buy YouTube for $1.65 billion in 2006.
She became the CEO of YouTube in 2014 and has since been described as the most powerful woman both in advertising and on the internet. Wojcicki has strongly advocated for closing the gender gap in the tech industry.
- 1998-08-23 YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki (30) weds Google executive Dennis Troper in Belmont, California
- 2003-06-18 Google launches AdSense, a program that enables website publishers to serve ads targeted to the specific content of their individual web pages, many of which like On This Day (then HistoryOrb.com) go on to start their own publishing businesses
- 2014-02-05 Google Vice President Susan Wojcicki is named CEO of YouTube
- 2015-08-10 Google announces its restructure as Alphabet, a holding company with Google, YouTube, Android and Chrome as subsidiaries
- 2018-01-11 YouTube issues sanctions against vlogger Logan Paul after he posted footage of suicide victim's body in Japan in December
- 2018-08-06 Facebook, Apple, YouTube and Spotify remove conspiracy theorist Alex Jones from their platforms
- 2019-02-28 YouTube announces it will stops all comments on videos featuring children because of paedophiles leaving inappropriate comments
- 2019-09-04 YouTube fined $170 million for illegally collecting data on children's viewing habits by US Federal Trade Commission