Full Name: Thomas Edward Lawrence
Profession: Soldier and Writer
Biography: T. E Lawrence is remembered as a soldier in WWI, where he helped lead an internal rebellion against the Ottoman Empire, events he detailed in his work "The Seven Pillars" of Wisdom". These events were in turn portrayed in the film "Lawrence of Arabia"
Lawrence was a archaeologist working the Near East when WWI broke out and was recruited by the British army to help foster a revolt within the Ottoman Empire. Working with Arab forces he successfully helped with the capture of Aqaba and later Damascus.
In 1922 Lawrence published his memoirs of that time in "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom" which was made into the film "Lawrence of Arabia" by director David Lean. The film won best picture in 1963 at the Academy Awards.
Lawrence died of his injuries after a motorcycle accident in 1935.
- 1916-10-16 T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia) meets with Fasal Hoessein
- 1917-01-01 T. E. Lawrence joins the forces of the Arabian sheik Feisal al Husayn, beginning his adventures that will lead him to Damascus by October, 1918
- 1917-07-06 T. E. Lawrence captures port of Aqaba from Turks
- 1918-10-01 World War I: Combined Arab and British force under the Lawrence of Arabia, T. E. Lawrence captures Damascus from the Turks
- 1921-03-12 Cairo Conference begins, British meeting to determine Middle Eastern policies, Gertrude Bell and T. E. Lawrence attend
- 1962-12-10 David Lean's film "Lawrence of Arabia", based on life of T. E. Lawrence and starring Peter O'Toole, premieres at Odeon Leicester Square (Academy Awards Best Picture 1963)
- 1962-12-16 "Lawrence of Arabia" film directed by David Lean and starring Peter O'Toole, is released in the United States
- 1963-03-05 20th Golden Globes: "Lawrence of Arabia", Gregory Peck, & Geraldine Page win
- 1963-04-08 35th Academy Awards: "Lawrence of Arabia", Anne Bancroft & Gregory Peck win